Wednesday, October 21, 2009

“Merry” Diwali

Diwali is my favorite festival. Rasssi bombs, laddoos and lights make my day. Unfortunately in US I had to find alternate ways to enjoy this day. So I decided to visit the local temple to appease the goddess of prosperity (that's what I have been telling my American friends here).

On entering the temple I see some 10 LCD screens in the temple cafeteria that had the clip of President Obama lighting the diwali lamp in the Whitehouse and a priest reciting vedic shlokas. This clip was running in a loop with people passing by and looking very pleased. On entering the main temple complex I see a crowd of people in one corner. On a closer look I see that they are surrounding a priest who surprisingly looked very familiar. Yes!! It was the same priest from the Obama video. Apparently he has now become a rock star with people around shaking his hand ( I guess to complete the 6 degree of separation and become connected to Mr. Obama).

Looking at such euphoria made me wonder if Obama could be Lord Vishnu's reincarnation. With various hindu Gods like Rama, Ganesha, Krishna and Shiva… perhaps "Obama" is the deity we all have been "hoping" for.

2 comments:

SidBB said...

What priest? Was it Rajan Zed? I hate that guy.

Unknown said...

your writing amazes me :)